VARIOUS ARTISTS - DAISIES (SEDMIKRASKY) [Black vinyl LP]
Format: Black vinyl LP
Catalogue No.: FKR038LPX
Release Date: 20th November 2020
Back in the latter half of the 1960’s the burgeoning idiosyncratic group of alternative filmmakers coming out of (then) Czechoslovakia known as the Czech New Wave were taking art house cinemas in Western Europe and America by storm. The hour long films that came out of the infamous Barrandov production house played a competitive rival to that of the French and Italian New Waves with their very own immaculate and spellbinding takes on cinema verité, film noir, surrealism and cinema concrète. But after the Soviet Union invaded Czech in August 1968 the clampdown on non-conformist creative arts saw over seventy films either banned or withdrawn from production in a mass culling of film reels until 1970.
It is not until recent years that the genre has become widely recognised as a veritable and virtually untapped source of inspiration for fans of experimental cinema, psychedelic cinematography, baroque costumes and scenery, music and graphic design.
Daisies pulls together what you might call the ‘Holy Trinity’ of the Czech New Wave - director Vera Chytilová, costume and set designer Esther Krumbachová, and cinematographer Jaroslav Kucera - arguably the three most forward thinking and truly experiMENTAL minds in the whole of the CNW collective.
Witness Les Petites Margeurites (original French theatrical title) as they mischievously flutter through Prague’s finest restaurants accompanying middle-aged men on flamboyant double dates in gastronomic ménage à trois - “If the world spoils itself, then we shall be spoiled as well” decide the two bikini clad button-cute Maries in the films opening scenes.
The radical and experimental nature of Daisies is further enhanced by its erratic score which consists of the juxtaposition of various non-melodic elements and sound effects, laden with a broad palette of samples and snippets of choral and classical vintage recordings spliced with concréte effects, traditional brass band music, Disney style exotica, Charleston dance standards and token 60’s beat tracks.
Originally prepared for public consumption by Finders Keepers in 2007 and available once again this immaculate release was taken from the original reels and compiled in close accordance to the original storyline and comes complete with unseen archive images, original international poster designs and new and extensive sleevenotes.
POINTS OF SALE
* Available for the first time since being origianlly pressed in 2007 as part of the ongoing Finders Keepers’ 15th anniversary retrospective. Much like the previous Finders Keepers firsts (Valerie And Her Week Of Wonders and Ikarie XB-1) this soundtrack remains another Finders Keepers first. Released alongside another Czech New Wave and long out of print masterpiece Malá morská víla (FKR040LPX)
* Beautifully remastered with updated liner notes including rare photos ith the full cooperation of the seminal Barrandov studios in Prague.
* Available on both standard black vinyl and a strictly limited edition white and yellow yolk vinyl pressing (500 only).
1. Jiri Sust & Jiri Slitr - Sedmikrásky (Main Theme)
2. JJiri Sust & Jiri Slitr - Peach Tree Thieves
3. Jiri Sust & Jiri Slitr- Red Carpet
4. Jiri Sust & Jiri Slitr - Three’s A Crowd
5. Eva Pilerova - Drunken Disorderlies
6. Jiri Sust & Jiri Slitr - Dead Men Tell No Tales
7. Jiri Sust & Jiri Slitr - The Juggler
8. Jan Klusák - The Butterfly Cabinet
9. Jiri Sust & Jiri Slitr - Sugar Stealers
10. Jiri Sust & Jiri Slitr - Burning Ribbons (Phone Call One)
11. Jiri Sust & Jiri Slitr - Girlies Girlies
12. Jiri Sust & Jiri Slitr - Man With A Typewriter (Phone Call Two)
13. Jiri Sust & Jiri Slitr - Bath Of Milk
14. Marie Cesková - Roses Red Roses Red
15. Jiri Sust & Jiri Slitr - Cuckoos
16. Jiri Sust & Jiri Slitr - Scissors
17. Jiri Sust & Jiri Slitr - Beggars Banquet
18. Jiri Sust & Jiri Slitr - Food Fight
19. Jiri Sust & Jiri Slitr - Strip-teas