UMAN - Chaleur Humaine
Catalogue No.: FTS21LP
Release Date: 12 Nov 2021
A2. UMAN Spirit
A4. Human Warmth
A6. Mémoire Vive
A7. Chaleur Humaine
B1. البشري الحرارة
B2. Cordes Sensibles
B4. Calor Humano
B5. Hơi ấm của nhân loại
B7. Menselijke Warmte
B9. אנושית אש
UMAN’s Chaleur Humaine, the debut album from the French duo of musicians and siblings Danielle and Didier Jean, resurfaces for the first time since its original release in 1992. While history, both private and public, is scattered with creative relationships between siblings that simply “did not work,” UMAN’s story is uniquely different and defined by this bond, and a shared journey impressing footprints along an adventurous musical terrain.
Prior to Chaleur Humaine, Danielle and Didier recorded two albums of pop songs met mostly with ambivalence, inspiring them to escape the expectations of the French music industry and build their own studio in Orsay, a suburb south of Paris. Chaleur Humaine was a modus operandi for their new, liberated perspective and space: freedom to develop ideas independently; to cross-pollinate genres and abandon them altogether; to improvise and experiment in new musical configurations.
Within their recording sanctuary, Danielle and Didier embraced cutting edge consumer music technology to inform the album’s esoteric, textural characteristics. This is especially notable in the processing of Danielle’s voice, inventively sampled, shifted and processed, and then woven through Didier’s dream worlds. This interpretation of technology and economy of sound, gives Chaleur Humaine a soft and impressionistic sense of surrealism, guided by a human sincerity and sublimated into a landscape that feels pastoral yet universal.
UMAN, the name which binds Danielle and Didier musically, resembles “human” in many Romance languages but signals a spirit from a deeper earth force. Similarly, UMAN reinvents language in a postmodern way to create a harmony and truth that exists within and beyond human recognition. A poem, at once a theme and mantra, recurs throughout Chaleur Humaine: “It’s this force, almost animal, warm, like a kiss, fresh like the morning dew, that we call human warmth.” Dispatched across multiple languages over abstract melodic motifs, the message radiates from a place of meditated intent.
Chaleur Humaine was released on Buda Musique during the French record label’s rise to prominence showcasing global sound, with several tracks plucked from the album and reaching an international audience through various New Age / “Chillout” compilations. Yet the album shares more in common with Piero Milesi and Daniel Bacalov’s work for stage and theater on La Camera Astratta , the introspective world building of Nuno Canavarro on Plux Quba, and the formless vocalism and ethereality of Cocteau Twins or Enya.
While Danielle and Didier admit an affinity for some of these artists, UMAN were driven by their own invention, performing with local and fringe artists, and ultimately at ease in their secluded musical world. Even as the music of UMAN ricochets off the walls of their safe haven in so many directions, the artists’ interplay of reference and abstraction of sound retains the intimacy of a wildly imaginative conversation between siblings. UMAN’s Chaleur Humaine will be made available again on Freedom To Spend on September 17, 2021, for the first time on vinyl and as CD and digital editions. On behalf of UMAN, a portion of the proceeds from this release will benefit Greenpeace France.
● UMAN is the project of French musicians and sibling duo Danielle and Didier Jean.
● Chaleur Humaine is their debut album, resurfacing for the first time on vinyl and remastered CD since its original release in 1992.
● UMAN experienced varying degrees of recognition with Chaleur Humaine at the time of its release, specifically around tracks plucked for various New Age / “Chillout” compilations, but ultimately the album defies genre in its exploration of voice and sampling / synthesizer technology and places it alongside the futurist works of Ryuichi Sakamoto , Nuno Canvarro, and even Enya .
● UMAN resembles “human” in many Romance languages but signals a spirit from a deeper earth force that the duo channel throughout Chaleur Humaine, manifesting in a mantra found throughout the album reimagined in various languages across different tracks: “It’s this force, almost animal, warm, like a kiss, fresh like the morning dew, that we call human warmth.”
● Chaleur Humaine has become a leftfield classic since its initial release, and long sought after on vinyl (the album was only available on CD until now).
● UMAN’s Chaleur Humaine will be released via Freedom To Spend on September 17, 2021 on vinyl, CD, and digital formats. On behalf of UMAN, a portion of the proceeds from this release will benefit Greenpeace France.
● RIYL: Nuno Canavarro’s Plux Quba, Piero Milesi and Daniel Bacalov’s La Camera Astratta, Cocteau Twins and Enya
More From This Artist: