Leon Vynehall - Rare, Forever [CD]
Catalogue No.: ZENCD272
Release Date: 30th April 2021
● Leon Vynehall returns with new album ‘Rare, Forever’ - the follow up to his critically acclaimed debut album ‘Nothing Is Still’ - on 30 April via Ninja Tune. Here he showcases all the strings to his bow—creating music that’s borderless and unbound—alongside artwork by Eric Timothy Carlson (Grammy nominated for his work with Bon Iver). ‘Rare, Forever’ is a beautiful marriage of everything he's done so far while remaining genuinely progressive; the end result sounding like ‘Nothing Is Still’ but with the narrative toned down, and the dancefloor dialled up.
● The album follows his winter 2020 ‘A Little More Liquid’ performance—the stunning audio-visual exploration/livestream project (and live follow up to his sold-out “Nothing Is Still”
residencies in London and New York)—that Vynehall collaborated on with Eric Timothy Carlson and Aaron Anderson and which served to introduce some of the ‘Rare, Forever’ album materials and themes.
Recommended if you like: Four Tet, Thom Yorke, Floating Points, Kelly Lee Owens, Avalon Emerson, Beatrice Dillon, Boards of Canada.
● CD in slip case with printed inner and booklet. Artwork by Eric Timothy Carlson.
“[Leon Vynehall is] a creator of downtempo mini-masterpieces”
Mixmag 9/10 ‘Album of the Month’ (Nothing Is Still)
“Vynehall is more than a producer with a great ear for texture and a nostalgic streak—he’s a storyteller, one who demands and merits our full attention.” Pitchfork (8.2) (Nothing Is Still)
● “Nothing Is Still” entered the UK Official Dance Album Chart at #16 (2018)
● Vynehall’s debut album “Nothing Is Still” received exceptional reviews, including an 8.2 review from Pitchfork (also included in their Albums of the week roundup), ‘Album of the Month’ in Mixmag (9/10), DJ Mag (9/10), Mojo (4/5), and Esquire, plus further reviews
from Resident Advisor (4.4/5), CRACK, The Line Of Best Fit (8.5), XLR8R, Uncut (8/10), Q (4/5), NME (4/5) Evening Standard (4*), Loud & Quiet, Exclaim! (8/10), The 405 (8/10),Clash, Music OMH (4/5), Exclaim!, and Future Music ‘Recommended’ release.
● Previous releases have consistently received critical acclaim. Music For The Uninvited (2014, 3024) was widely praised and featured heavily on many of 2014’s Best Of Year polls including: XLR8R (#3 album), DJ Mag (#3 album), Mixmag (#6 album), Phonica (#1 12”).
Follow up Rojus (2016, Running Back) received another long list of accolades including DJ Mag’s “Album Of The Year”. It also featured in Pitchfork’s “Top 20 Best Electronic Albums of 2016”.
● Leon has previously featured on Gilles Peterson’s BBC 6 Music ‘Words & Music’ interview series, hosted his own one-off BBC R1 Residency Show and has also appeared on the BBC Radio 1 Bedtime Mix with Phil Taggart. Recent and previous radio plays from Annie Mac, Phil Taggart (BBC Radio 1), Benji B (BBC Radio 1/1Xtra), Mary Anne Hobbs, Lauren Laverne, Gilles Peterson, Nemone, Tom Ravenscroft (BBC 6 Music), Bradley Zero (BBC R1 Residency) and Ben UFO (Worldwide FM).
● Previous sold-out live performances backed by a full band featuring many of London’s top musicians including London’s Hackney Showrooms and EartH, as well as performing at festivals such as Field Day, Club-To-Club and a one off performance with a 10-piece string section in Australia at the Melbourne Recital Center.
1. Ecce! Ego!
4. Alichea Vella Amor
5. Snakeskin ∞ Has-Been
6. Worm (& Closer & Closer)
7. An Exhale
9. Farewell! Magnus Gabbro
10. All I See Is You, Velvet Brown