Erroll Garner - Liberation In Swing: The Octave Records Story & Complete Symphony Hall Concert
Cat. no: MAC1188LP
Format: LPBK (4LP + Book)
Release Date: 17 Sep 2021
This 4-LP boxed set chronicles legendary pianist/composer Erroll Garner at the height of his creative freedom, telling the real story of the famed musician’s artist-owned label, Octave Records, and redefining his place in music history.
Looking back in order to look forward is fundamental to most art forms, maybe none more so than the profound art of jazz. In rare cases, such retrospection can reveal entirely new aspects of the art and its creator, redefining a legacy for a new generation. Such is the case with the genius of Erroll Garner.
One of the most popular figures in jazz during his exceptional career, Garner’s legacy is receiving a remarkable reinvigoration through the concerted efforts of Octave Music’s Erroll Garner Project (EGP) and its partnership with Mack Avenue Music Group.
Together they are celebrating the 100th anniversary of Garner’s birth with an extraordinary three-tiered release focused on Garner’s output from 1959 to 1975 and featuring a stunning 27-song previously unreleased 1959 concert recorded at Boston’s Symphony Hall.
- 3-LP 180-gram black vinyl Complete Symphony Hall Concert (previously unreleased live performance from Boston’s Symphony Hall recorded January 17, 1959)
- 1-LP 180-gram white vinyl, SESSIONS (new compilation of Garner originals from the Octave Remastered Series, first time on vinyl)
- 3 Essays from Dr. Robin D. G. Kelley (“Octave Records & The Liberation of Erroll Garner”), Terri Lyne Carrington (“Complete Symphony Hall Concert”) and C cile McLorin Salvant (“Garner, The Visual Artist”)
- 6 previously unpublished works of original visual art by Erroll Garner and dozens of previously unseen historic photographs from the Erroll Garner Archive
- Hi-Res 192kHz / 24bit digital master quality audio of the complete 12 album Octave Remastered Series (digital download)
- Housed in hardcover cloth-wrapped 60-page portfolio-style book with tipped-in vinyl sleeves
** all music newly transferred via the Plangent Processes from the original analog master tapes In Dr. Kelley’s words “Together, the various elements in Liberation in Swing mark the zenith of Garner’s career and provide more than ample proof of his preeminent place in music history.
The Octave Records story is one that remains relevant today. It is the real story of Erroll Garner and [his manager/business partner] Martha Glaser, and their quest for artistic freedom, a story of dreams and disappointments, triumphs and tribulations, invention and imagination.”
CD 1: Dancing in the Dark / My Funny Valentine / But Not for Me / The Nearness of You / A Foggy Day (In London Town) / Gypsy in My Soul / I Didn’t Know What Time It Was / Lover / Last Word
CD 2: The Song from Moulin Rouge / I Can’t Get Started With You / Back Bay Stride / Gospel Mambo / Shell Game / My Fair Lady Medley / Frenesi / Dreamy
CD 3: Someone to Watch Over Me / I Get a Kick Out of You / Misty / Indiana (Back Home Again in Indiana) / Moments Delight / Bernie’s Tune / Red Top / Will You Still Be Mine / Erroll’s Theme / Kitten on the Keys
CD 4: Octave 103 (Remastered 2019) / She Walked On (Remastered 2020) / Paris Mist (Trio Version) (Remastered 2019) / Not So Fast (Remastered 2020) / You and Me (Remastered 2019) / Misty (Remastered 2020) / True Blues (Remastered 2020) / By Chance (Remastered 2019) / Grill on the Hill (Remastered 2020) / Maybe You’re the Only One (Remastered 2020)
More From This Artist: