Erroll Garner - Liberation In Swing: Centennial Collection
Cat. no: MAC1187LP
Format: BXSET (4LP+12CD+5x7”+MC+Book)
Release Date: 17 Sep 2021
Looking back in order to look forward is fundamental to most art forms, maybe none more so than the profound art of jazz.
In rare cases, such retrospection can reveal entirely new aspects of the art and its creator, redefining a legacy for a new generation. Such is the case with the genius of Erroll Garner. One of the most popular figures in jazz during his exceptional career, Garner’s legacy is receiving a remarkable reinvigoration through the concerted efforts of Octave Music’s Erroll Garner Project (EGP) and its partnership with Mack Avenue Music Group.
Together they are celebrating the 100th anniversary of Garner’s birth with an extraordinary three-tiered release focused on Garner’s output from 1959 to 1975 and featuring a stunning 27-song previously unreleased 1959 concert recorded at Boston’s Symphony Hall.
For Garner’s centennial celebration, the EGP has, with cooperation from the University of Pittsburgh (where Garner’s physical archives were housed by Octave Music in 2015) and in partnership with Mack Avenue Music Group, created a trio of exciting new releases - Liberation in Swing: Centennial Collection (Deluxe Limited Edition Boxed Set), Liberation in Swing: The Octave Records Story & Complete Symphony Hall Concert (Standard Edition Boxed Set) and Symphony Hall Concert (Single 180-gram LP, CD and digital configurations), due out September 17.
Both boxed set configurations include the definitive narrative of Garner’s career penned by noted historian Dr. Robin D. G. Kelley, as well as essays from Terri Lyne Carrington and C cile McLorin Salvant.
The contents for this configuration is as follows: Liberation In Swing: Centennial Collection (Deluxe Limited Edition Boxed Set)
* 3-LP 180-gram black vinyl, Complete Symphony Hall Concert (previously unreleased live performance from Boston’s Symphony Hall, recorded January 17, 1959)
* 1-LP 180-gram white vinyl, SESSIONS (new compilation of Garner originals from the Octave Remastered Series, first time on vinyl)
* The complete 12 CD Octave Remastered Series, redesigned in custom tri-fold folio
* Hi-Res 192kHz / 24bit digital master quality audio of the complete 12 album Octave Remastered Series (digital download)
* Vintage 1967 Promotional Box from Erroll Garner’s private archive, featuring five 7-inch 45rpm singles
* 1 Cassette, The Final Concert Cassette (Garner’s last performance recorded at Mister Kelly’s in Chicago, 1975)
* Hardcover cloth-wrapped 60-page book with essays from Dr. Robin D. G. Kelley (“Octave Records & The Liberation of Erroll Garner”), Terri Lyne Carrington (“Complete Symphony Hall Concert”) and C cile McLorin Salvant (“Garner, The Visual Artist”), as well as unpublished original artwork from Erroll Garner and previously unseen photos
* Certificate of Authenticity
** all music newly transferred via the Plangent Processes from the original analog master tapes
More From This Artist: